We at BASD strive to educate our students for excellence, achievement, citizenship, and continuous learning through academics and extra-curricular endeavors.
a year ago
Welcome to Prospective Residents
Welcome to Brookville! Ours is a top notch school district in a world class community. Here is some information about our district and community:
• Our campus is made up of four schools. The Brookville Jr. Sr. High with grades 7th-12th, Hickory Grove Elementary with grades 3rd-6th, Pinecreek Elementary with grades 2nd and 3rd and Northside Elementary, our kindergarten center.
• Enrollment K-12 is approximately 1500 students.
• All of our buildings are newly renovated and include much of the latest technology equipment serviced by large internet bandwidth.
• Our district has a swimming pool, and students in grades 3rd-6th take advantage of swimming lessons during the school day.
• Our campuses are safe, attractive and very well maintained.
• Brookville offers eight (8) Advanced Placement (AP courses) including Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, US History, English/Language, English/Literature, Physics/Electrical and Physics/Mechanical.
• Brookville teachers provide College in the Classroom to allow our students to earn college credits while in high school. Brookville partners with Pitt-Bradford, Mt. Aloysius and Butler County Community College (BC3) to offer Intro. to Music, Advanced Stats, AP Calculus, Advanced Pre-Calculus, Pitt Computers, AP US History, AP Biology, AP English Literature.
• Academic teams have been recognized for their accomplishments at the Science Olympiad, math fairs, reading competitions and Academic Challenge.
• Computer laboratories, iPads, Chromebooks, Chrome Tablets and a curriculum of computer-related activities exist at all grade levels (kindergarten-grade 12).
• The elementary guidance department has implemented an effective School-wide Positive Behavior Plan.
• Our staff is highly trained in science (i3Grant recipient), literacy (KTO Grant recipient, Reading Apprentice, Literacy Essentials for Teachers of English and Reading (LETERS), Read 180, and Wilson) and Envision Mathematics.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
• Brookville Jr.-Sr. High School offers Introduction to Engineering, Principles of Engineering, and Digital Electronics as a part of its Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) program.
• Any student in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade can enroll in Introduction to Engineering. Students must be enrolled in an academic or advanced math class to take this course. This course is a prerequisite for the Principles of Engineering and Digital Electronics courses.
GIFTED AND SPECIAL EDUCATION
• A full continuum of services and related services are offered at Brookville along with collaboration with families and community service providers to provide free and appropriate public education (FAPE) for all students identified with needs for special education and/or gifted education services.
• Gifted support teachers work as part of grade level teams and content area teams.
• Gifted support teachers and students receiving gifted support services have opportunities within our district and outside our district in a coordinated individually designed program.
• Students with needs for special education have these needs met on an individual basis pulling upon district resources, local education consortiums, and community based providers.
• Parents and students are an integral part of each and every IEP/GIEP team.
PARENTS AND TEACHERS HELPING STUDENTS (PATHS)
• BASD has a very active parent/teacher organization that supports our schools by providing extended learning experiences. Much like a PTO or PTA, P.A.T.H.S. meets once per month.
BROOKVILLE AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT CYBER/BLENDED SCHOOL
• Brookville’s Cyber/Blended School is an educational program designed to meet the needs of students who want to pursue their education in a non-traditional format.
• The Brookville Area School District has contracted with Edmentum (PLATO Learning) for a distance learning program that is competency based and fully aligned with the Pennsylvania Academic Standards.
• This standards-aligned curriculum requires students to demonstrate their proficiency through tests and exams aligned to the mastery based lessons.
• Each student is assigned a personal advisor through Brookville Area School District to help with counseling, course selections and advice for college and high school graduation requirements.
• Brookville teachers provide grading, recordkeeping, pretesting, and accurate placement along with day-to-day support.
• Students enrolled in the Cyber/Blended School are eligible to participate in extra-curricular activities.
• Students who complete graduation requirements of Brookville Area School District Cyber/Blended School will receive a Brookville Area School District diploma.
• A full range of pupil support personnel are available including school psychologist, school counselors, special education teachers, and teachers of the gifted.
• Our district supports various sports teams including boys and girls soccer, football, boys and girls basketball, volleyball, boys and girls golf, track and field, cross county, swimming, softball, baseball and wrestling.
• The music department has several students who completed at the state level for vocals and instruments.
• Our theater productions include plays and musicals and are sold-out events.
• Brookville, founded as the Jefferson County Seat in 1830 is a vibrant community built on strong work ethic in the areas of lumbering and manufacturing.
• The Borough has been recognized as one of Pennsylvania’s first Main Street Projects.
• Main Street is lined with exquisite historical buildings that showcase a variety of shops.
• Brookville is located approximately 15 miles from Clarion University, Penn State-DuBois campus, Indiana University- Punxsutawney campus, Dubois Business College, and Triangle Technical School.
• Our community is rich in cultural events including local theater, music and festivals.
• The community library sponsors several writing competitions, book signings, meet the author events, and book sales.
• The Brookville YMCA offers family fitness, gymnastics, martial arts, swimming, tap, Ballet, jazz, and a variety of family fun events.
• All of the benefits of Pittsburgh, Erie and Altoona can be reached in less than a two-hour drive.
• Many nature areas are available for access to hiking, biking, skiing, hunting, fishing, boating, swimming, and picnics.